In an effort to increase communication between the Board and shareholders, the Board established the Shareholder Participation & Planning Committee to replace YAAMs. With the extension of Tyonek Class B Shares to new shareholders, TNC expanded its membership of shareholders in an educational/advisory committee to include those as young as 14 and add elders to the committee.
The purpose of the Shareholder Participation & Planning Committee is to enhance the communication between shareholders and the Board of Directors by operating in an advisory capacity to the Board of Directors.
- Teach the next generation about TNC today so they are engaged and ready to lead TNC tomorrow;
- Identify issues of immediate and long-term importance to shareholders and our next generation of TNC shareholders; and
- Assist TNC in providing information of shareholders on the corporation’s mission, business operations, corporate policies, and other matters.
The Committee shall be comprised of three shareholders with at least one living in Tyonek. Shareholders are required to complete and correctly answer questions on the application. All applications are put in a drawing that will be held at the annual meeting. Only applications that are complete and questions answered correctly will be included in the drawing. In addition to the 3 shareholders on the committee, to be added to the committee will be one board member and one management representative. Committee members shall be appointed by and serve at the discretion of the TNC Board of Directors.
Shareholder Age Groups to be represented by Committee:
1 – Youth – (14 to 17)
1 – Adult (18 to 64)
1 – Elder (65+)
The Committee shall meet a minimum of four times per year or more frequently as circumstances require. A majority of the total number of voting members shall constitute a quorum of the Committee. The Committee may seek the assistance and guidance of management. Minutes shall be kept of each meeting of the Committee, and the Committee shall provide regular reports of its actions to the TNC Board of Directors.
- Attend all SPPC Committee meetings via phone or in person if near a meeting site.
- The SPPC Chair will attend one Board meeting a year to report on work of the Shareholder Participation & Planning Committee. The committee members will attend the Tyonek Native Corporation Informational and Annual Meetings.
- May include other activities such as presentations to Shareholders, students or other agencies to promote SPPC’s or any other topics
The Shareholder Participation & Planning Committee (SPPC) program was established by the Board of Directors to get input from shareholders on issues. There are three SPPC seats, each age group serving 3-year, staggered terms. One age group seat becomes available each spring, and shareholders who are within the specific age group are encouraged to apply.
Shareholder Participation & Planning Committee (SPPC) Application